November 2019 Update
Bill Read shares who is backfilling the Toys “R” Us locations.
Of the 700 plus Toys R Us spaces marketed for Sale, Lease or Redevelopment, who has been the most active in backfilling these spaces.
Furniture Stores (90) and Discount Stores (64) remain at the top of the list.
- 91 Different users have surfaced as taking former Toys R Us stores (according to either court records, news articles or other sources).
- Furniture Stores are the leader in backfilling these spaces with 90 stores and Discount stores are second with 64 stores. In third and fourth spots are Apparel (39) and Grocery (20).
- 22 different furniture stores have taken space and are led by Scandinavian Design (33), Ashley Furniture, Bob’s Discount, Raymond & Flanagan, Homegoods, Value City, American Signature, and Kimbell’s. All took multiple locations.
- Grocery stores have acquired 20 units and include Aldi (8), Amazon, Giant Eagle, Trader Joe’s, Farmers Fresh market, Sprouts, Vallarta, Patel Brothers and Supermercado.
- Burlington Stores has leased 33 locations, up from the 11 in our previous report and Hobby Lobby is up to 19 locations vs our previous count of 8.
- Sporting Goods retailers occupy 9 locations and include PGA Superstore, Dick’s, REI, Decathlon and Woodsman Outfitters.
- Based on our tracking, 106 former Toys R Us building sold for a total of 493 million, averaging$115 psf and totaling 4.2 million square feet. Does not include GL or Leases sold.
Download Bill Read’s report to learn more.